Saturday, September 21, 2013

Altered Glass Tile Pendant - Foliage




This unique pendant is made from an altered glass tile from the home improvement store. The pendant is embellished with a raised foliage pattern. The funky fern is die cut from fun foam. Really...who knew? I painted the front and back of the tile with orange acrylic paint. I painted the fern brown and attached it to the tile with Glossy Accents. I then did some color washes and dry brushing to achieve the distressed and weathered final look. The piece is sealed with water based varnish.

The tile measures 1 7/8 x 1/2 inches. A rusty silver colored metal nut rescued from my husband's hardware discards is attached as a bail. I used Glossy Accents to glue the nut on and let it dry overnight. Then I used the Glossy Accents all around the base of the nut again to really reinforce the bond.

The pendant is tied on a 24" steel colored ball chain with a scrap of off white leather. The necklace has an organic earthy vibe.

♥ Wendy



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Wendy. Love your pendants! I am wondering, I once bought very similar glass tiles from our home improvement store and they are still sitting in my craft room, I can't figure out how to get the adhesive gunk off of the back so it is clean on both sides! Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Wendy said...

Hi Stephanie - the styles of tiles that I have bought have all been on that netted material. I pulled them off and soaked them in hot water. When the water cooled, I used a rough cloth on the backs and the glue came right off. Hope this advice helps. Wendy